Organization: Center for Health, Human Rights & Development (CEHURD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager
Center for Health, Human Rights & Development (CEHURD) is an indigenous, non-profit, research and advocacy organization, whose vision is “To realize social justice in public health systems.” CEHURD works with public, private and civil society organisations to ensure that public health laws are used as principle tools for the promotion and protection of public health of the vulnerable populations in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Programme Officer – Research, Documentation and Advocacy (RDA) will be responsible for performing the tasks listed below towards supporting the programme. This is a highly engaging position requiring multitasking capabilities and capacities to research, write and engage with evidence.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting the RDA program’s advocacy efforts by assisting with drafting petitions, policy briefs, briefing papers, internal memorandums, and other advocacy documents.
- Using editing skills to assist with fact-checking of reports, petitions, draft publications, and other documents as needed.
- Carrying out legal and policy research and analysis on international law, human rights law, and foreign and comparative law.
- Develop and share program meeting minutes.
- Develop legal analyses of laws and bills in Uganda from a human rights perspective.
- Constantly work in consultation and support of the Program Manager to implement health rights advocacy and documentation projects in line with the overall CEHURD Strategic Plan.
- Actively promote appropriate linkages between CEHURD’s other programs and the health rights advocacy and documentation work.
- Promote a rights based approach in programming work on Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights.
- Develop health rights advocacy and documentation work plans and budgets.
- Mapping and keeping data for the partners identified in health rights advocacy.
- Conduct parliamentary advocacy in health including keeping abreast with relevant parliamentary committees for example committee on health and human rights.
- Engaging with health rights related institutions in Uganda including the human rights commission.
- Carry out and engage in all activities involving the Ministry of Health in Uganda particularly the reproductive health thematic areas and the Maternal and Child Health processes.
- Organize and attend all meetings and training by CEHURD and or other relevant partners in advocacy for health.
- Engage in and carry out research in health related fields of particular interest to CEHURD in given periods of time.
- Provide support to proposal development processes in line with the strategic plan of CEHURD
- Coordinate work that is being implemented between the different programs of CEHURD.
- In addition to individual respective tasks, the Programme Officer will be expected:
- Adhere to CEHURD values and to actively promote their application amongst colleagues.
- Undertake tasks in a creative, self-driven and innovative fashion.
- Identify and implement additional tasks/ideas of benefit to the organization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Programme Officer vacancy must hold a Bachelors’ Degree in Law, Human Rights, Social Science, Political Science, Economics, Public Health or any related qualifications.
- Possession of a Post Graduate qualification in any of the fields above will be an added advantage
- Prior experience in Human Rights and the Right to Health Advocacy is highly desirable.
- At least five years’ experience working on advocacy issues and/or research
- Good analytical skills
- Good leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team skills
- Resource mobilization skills
- Innovative spirit and willingness to use creative thinking.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send an updated Curriculum Vitae, Copies of your academic documents and a cover letter in a sealed envelope, addressed to:
The Executive Director
Center for Health, Human Rights and Development
Plot 833, Old Kiira Road, Ntinda-Kiwatule
P.O. Box 16617, Wandegeya
Kampala – Uganda
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 31st December, 2016 by 5:00pm