Organisation: Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Board of Directors, UMA
Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA) is the largest private sector organization representing the broad industrial and commercial sectors in Uganda’s economy and an important forum for the coordination of the interests of manufacturers and industrialists in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of the Association and runs the day to day affairs of the Association that relate jdirectly to the objectives of the Association which entail the promotion, protection and coordination of the interest of industrialists in Uganda. In addition, the Executive Director is also the Secretary to the Board of Directors of UMA and that of thee Advisory Council of UMA. The incumbent will provide leadership of the UMA Secretariat Team in execution of the mandate of UMA that entails acting as the watch dog and an effective mouth piece for all matters related to manufacturing through initiation of discussions and exchange of information among UMA Members on issues affecting industrialists and in so doing be able to advise Government of Uganda on key policies affecting manufacturing in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership to the UMA Secretariat Team as Chief Executive Officer charged with overseeing the management of all the affairs of UMA under the supervision of the Board of Directors of UMA;
- Take lead of the UMA Secretariat Team in allactivities of UMA geared at ensuring that ensuring that UMA remains the watch dog and an effective mouth piece for all matters related to manufacturing through initiation of discussions and exchange of information among UMA Members on issues affecting industrialists and in so doing be able to advise Government of Uganda on key policies affecting manufacturing in Uganda, from time to time;
- Manage and administer the activities, programs, trade and health fairs, networking activities, internships of UMA in a manner that promotes the interest of the Association from time to time, including availing accountability to the Board of UMA for all matters related to UMA;
- Manage the UMA Secretariat physical infrastructure and human resources in a manner that promotes the ideals of the Association including doing so as guided by Policies and or oversight availed by the . Board of Directors of UMN Advisory Council;
- Periodically up-date the Board of Directors of UMA about the activities of UMA. In this context, monthly Departmental Reports shall be generated by the respective Departments to feed into the activity briefs meant for the Board of Directors of UMA;
- Support the Board of Directors of UMA in generating and implementing a Four Years Strategic Plan for UMA (2017-2021) that is well aligned to the National Vision 2040 and the Five Year National Development Plans therein.
- Locate, establish, maintain and promote strategic collaborations with Government Ministries Departments and Agencies, Donor Agencies, Multilateral Organizations, Advocacy Groups, Private Sector bodies, Diplomatic Missions with the view to promoting manufacturing in Uganda
- Undertake any delegated responsibilities that may from time to time be assigned by the UMA Board of Directors/Advisory Council from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a University Degree in Economics, Business Administration and Management, Law, Production Engineering, or Statistics. A Masters degree or any other post graduate qualifications in related areas of professional specialization may be of added advantage;
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the private sector in Uganda and the UMA activities and programs for a period of at least five years;
- Extensive knowledge of Trade Policy issues that affect business and manufacturing in particular at a local, regional and international level for at least five years;
- Desired candidate should have a strong understanding of Uganda’s Economy and the trading regimes that Uganda is associated with in so far as such trading regimes impact on manufacturing in Uganda;
- The ideal candidate should have a Private sector employment background and proof of having served at a senior strategic decision taking level in credible private/public sector enterprises preferably involved in manufacturing or related to manufacturing for a period of at least five year;
- The candidate should be industrious, level-headed, flexible, a good team player with excellent inter personal relations, ready to work under minimal supervision and committed to achieving set and agreed to tasks targets from time to time;
- Strong and demonstrated oral and written communication capacity, noting that the vacancy at hand demand extensive internal and external engagements with various stakeholders in private and public sector from time to time;
- Good knowledge in computer applications like MS Office;
- Possession of good and demonstrated managerial skills and competencies that are key for the huge administrative responsibility that is attached to being the Chief Executive Officer of UMA;
- Ugandan nationality
- Age: Between 40-55 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should submit their type-set application letters not exceeding three pages demonstrating their suitability for appointment to the position of Executive Director, UMA. The candidates should present a detailed Resume -complete with experience certificates/letters that attest to the Professional achievements attained. All applications should be addressed to:
The Chairman, Board of Directors,
P.O. Box 6966, Kampala, Lugogo and delivered to the Secretariat
Deadline: 13th February, 2017