Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: TMP024
Vacancy Notice: 008/2017
Duty Station: Uganda
Post Grade: GL5
Reports to: Administrative /Finance Associate
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior ICT Assistant will play a supervisory role in overlooking the day-to-day activities of the telecom operators in the offices in the area of coverage. The incumbent will work closely with UNHCR staff members in the office and other offices within the country of assignment as well as with staff of UN agencies and other UNHCR partners within the zone of operation to exchange information and to provide assistance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the office in implementing set standards for applicationsthat meets the needs of the users and supports the overall Information and Communication Technology.
- Regularly monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Routers, Printers, LAN Points, Switches, Patch panels, Access points, HF and VHF bases, HF and VHF relay stations, Satellite Modem to prevent faults occurring.
- Carry out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of ICT equipments.
- Ensure that ICT problem recovery is done as quickly as possible and make regular system back ups.
- Offer support in the installation of the software packages, basic repair/maintenance of computer hardware, HF and VHF equipment.
- Train UNHCR staff on email system, utilization of VHF handhelds, telephone system.
- Add and remove users from the Networks.
- Maintain the inventory of ICT equipment and keep track of movements of ICT equipment.
- Draft mails and memoranda on ICT matters.
- Provide support in the drafting of technical documentation on radio equipment operating procedures
- Certify invoices and delivery notes and pass for payment.
- Evaluate needs for upgrading and eventually replacing ICT equipment in the field, to meet with UNHCR standards.
- Select the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
- Carry out administrative duties, within the area of competence as assigned.
- Perform other duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- IT and Telecoms incidents are resolved.
- The required/requested technical support is provided in a professional manner.
- The network (LAN) is properly maintained.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior ICT Assistant job placement should have completed secondary education or equivalent technical school with training/certificate in Telecommunication and Information Technology.
- At least five years of previous relevant experience in the ICT field;
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language (as applicable in the duty station).
- Excellent knowledge of computer software and database applications.
- Good computer skills (MS Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Technical knowledge of information technology
- Certificate in LAN operation.
- Ability to work as part of a team but also independently, in a multi-cultural environment.
- Knowledge of the UN system is desired
- Ability to work in remote areas.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 15th February, 2017