Organisation: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: FAO Representative
Vacancy Announcement Number: FRUGA/01/SPGS3/17
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has a global mandate to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic’ growth. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
About SPGS III Project:
The Sawlog Production Grant Scheme Phase III is a joint initiative between the Government of Uganda and the European Union whose primary objective is to encourage private sector investment in commercial timber plantations through provision of grants and technical support. It aims at increasing the incomes of the rural population through commercial tree planting by small, medium and large scale planters and local communities, while at the same time helping to mitigate climate change effects through intensive afforestation.
Job Summary: The Communications Assistant will actively contribute to the development and strengthening of internal and external communication, web publishing and media relation activities for the SPGS project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support to develop and implement a communication strategy for the SPGS III Project, in line with the contents of the project agreement/guidelines;
- Build and maintain close working relations with media representatives including print and broadcast media;
- Prepare programmatic communication and advocacy materials, including brochures, fact sheets, information bulletins, posters, leaflets and presentations, in collaboration with the programme personnel, consultants and counterparts;
- In addition to increasing visibility of the project, promote a corporate image of FAO as an open / accessible, multidisciplinary institution with rapid response and action. This includes support of Officials and Representative in the preparation of presentations, interviews, programmes and FAO documents especially as they relate to the SPGS project.
- The incumbent will also design, develop and disseminate information of general interest , with the objective to educate the public regarding the results of the project and activities being undertaken by FAO/SPGS III in Uganda
- Steer and promote communication processes for the benefit of Commercial; large, small and medium scale forestry farmers, rural residents and communities, using a variety of approaches, platforms and products.
- Support public communication activities of the Representation; prepare talking points, speeches, photo coverage, send press releases through press contacts, and manage interviews in relation to the SPGS III project.
- Support the strengthening of FAO media relations and public visibility, as well as FAO relations with other development partners, donors and government especially those engaged in the forestry industry.
- Share best practices and results with Sub Regional Office for Eastern Africa (SFE) Communication desk to support the visibility efforts on the sub region.
- Document and disseminate project success stories through various FAO communication channels contribute to the FAO website, social media and information system to ensure that FAO Uganda activities under the SPGS project are regularly reflected.
- Coordinate, contribute to and edit contributions of colleagues to the SPGS Newsletter, publish and disseminate the newsletter
- Actively participate in virtual meetings (online) and/or trainings scheduled and conducted by the Regional Office that support communication in the organization.
- Ensure visibility in line with EU visibility and communication guidelines
- Support the Communications officer as and when requested.
- And perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Communications Assistant career opportunityshould hold a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Journalism, Mass communication, Social works, or other communication disciplines
- Hands-on experience in managing communication activities in a big international organisation is preferred.
- Knowledge of computer design software programmes is desired;
- Previous exposure and experience in producing newsletter, magazines, news articles and other publications in an organization environment is desired
NB: Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan nationals should submit their applications together with detailed curriculum vitae (CV) and copies of certificates in a sealed envelope, and a completed FAO Personal Profile Formthat can be accessed online, Click Here (Please logon or create online profile) , quoting Vacancy Announcement no. addressed to:
The Country Representative,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in Uganda.
NB: The envelopes should be registered at reception and placed in the box at reception of the FAO offices at Plot 88 Buganda Road, Wandegeya, Kampala.
Deadline: 24th February 2017