Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
Job Summary: The IT Assistant will be responsible with assisting and facilitating the installation and configuration of IT infrastructure, staff training and operations of IT activities in IRC Uganda office. The IT Assistant will offer 1st and selected 2nd level support to the CP IT team and work closely with the Senior IT Officer, and on request with DDO and Regional ICT Coordinator and all program sectors to ensure proper ICT functioning and support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
IT Support – Provide Level 1 and Level 2 Support
- Work closely with end-users or Senior IT Officer (or Service Desk) on resolving Level 1 issues in CP
- Resolve or escalate Level 2 and Level 3 issues on request to appropriate internal or external resource (regional/international IT, management, and vendor) as necessary.
- The incumbent will liaise with various in country Internet Service Providers (ISP) for the purpose of improving the system and resolving any breakdown in internet service provision.
- Ensure that antivirus programs on each machine are updated regularly.
- Work with Helpdesk to create email addresses, update mailing lists, and keep proper tracking of email addresses.
Installation & Configuration and maintenance of:
- Offer systems administrative support to the Servers, Windows server 2008 R2 operating system, Domain and essential network services.
- Desktop/laptop hardware and software, and peripherals, using IRC standard Windows 7 operating system image.
- Local Area Network, wireless network, peer-to-peer or client server architecture, as appropriate.
- Liaise with various in country Internet Service Providers (ISP) for the purpose of improving the Internet service provision and resolving any breakdown in service.
- Provide monitoring reports with information on condition of network and ISPs to Senior ICT Officer to assist with timely upgrades and necessary changes
Maintenance, Repair & Security:
- Carry out preventative maintenance on all IRC computers and network resources.
- Ensure that server backup is done on regular basis and that staff are reminded to do back up before their computers are sent out for repairs. Ensure data security backups protection of the LAN against data corruption
- Work with the Senior IT Officer to update and maintain network documentation to include but not limited to IP address, system access, email creation system, upgrades and changes to original network, etc.
- Diagnose hardware and software faults by questioning clients patiently about a problem and explaining the procedures to them.
- Closely collaborate with International and HQ IT team on helpdesk, connectivity and other in country and global IRC IT projects.
- Provide technical input and support to the Kampala Office Local Area Network. Ensure proper record keeping of breakdowns, problems and maintenance carried out.
- Any other IT related tasks assigned by the supervisor or Regional IT team to accomplish the overall organizational goals.
Training, Evaluation, & Testing:
- Provide regular user and support staff training, including training on basic care and maintenance of computers and equipment for users which include training IRC staff and guests on the safe handling and general operation of computers and accessories and ensure that all IRC staff are in compliance with IT policies and procedures
- Research and suggest new technology as required by Regional and HQ IT.
- Prepare and submit regular weekly, monthly and trip reports that provide sufficient detail for HQ to understand the country office’s computer environment, needs, IT staff availability and skill levels and future plans.
IT Asset Management:
- Keep an up-to-date ICT asset register by performing monthly asset verifications for all IT assets in the Kampala office including Software & licenses.
- Create and maintain IRC computer software/hardware inventory ensuring accuracy.
Policies & Protocols:
- Implement available plans for repair of dysfunctional laptops, desktop computers, photocopiers, printers, etc.
- Implement appropriate protocols for regular maintenance of all IRC computer related equipment.
- Identify through tender process, as per standard IRC policies and procedures, local supply chain for IRC IT requirements in the Region.
- Implement local IT Policy for IRC Uganda in coordination with DDO and Regional IT support team.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the IRC IT Assistant job vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or an equivalent technical work experience.
- Professional IT certification i.e. CCNA course desired, MCSE or equivalent experience is a plus.
- A minimum of three years of IT support experience
- Experience installing, configuring and managing both wired and wireless LAN, and firewalls.
- Computer imaging skills required.
- Outlook experience required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Customer/Client service experience
- Able to work independently within a team environment
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds from floor to a standard desktop.
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Team spirit and problem solving abilities.
- Commitment to succeed
- High sense of urgency
- Strong follow-up skills
- Language Skills: Fluency in English (written and spoken) is required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an updated CVs and cover letters clearly indicating the position applied for as the subject to: UA-IRCJobs@Rescue.org (The Human Resource and Administration department, International Rescue Committee)
Deadline: 17th February 2017