Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10023578
Vacancy Notice: 012/2017
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Grade: GL5
Reports to: Associate External Relations Officer
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior External Relations Assistant will support in the management of external relations activities of the Office. The incumbent plays a key role in organising the visits of foreign delegations, donors, press and media, providing regular briefings and drafting reports/materials for external partners. He/she will also receive advice and operational support from the External Relations/Public Information Units at UNHCR Headquarters in Geneva.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder will draft briefing notes, press releases, bulletins, reports, newsletters and prepare any other public information material, as required
- Aid and accompany visits of foreign delegations, partner NGOs, donors and the media to refugee camps
- Draft and translate routine correspondence and texts.
- Provide support in developing and implementing UNHCR social media strategy conceptualize and pitch stories for UNHCR global website.
- Ensure that public information materials including fact sheets, information brochures, briefing materials from the Branch Office, etc. are available.
- The jobholder will organize visibility events (e.g. World Refugee Day) and liaise with partners, refugees and local communities on implementation.
- The incumbent maybe required to assist in compilation of weekly, monthly, annual/quarterly thematic reports, situations reports etc.
- Review media daily and ensure the office is kept informed of local developments.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Missions from donors, the press and media are supported with field visits and accurate briefing materials
- External partners are informed regularly on all aspects and the status of UNHCR operations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior External Relations Assistant job placement should have completed secondary education with post-secondary certificate/training in International Relations, Journalism, Political Science, Communication, Media or related field.
- At least five years of previous relevant job experience.
- Good communication and computer skills.
- Excellent drafting skills as well as translation and interpreting skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Knowledge of UNHCR IT systems and standards is desired
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 17th March 2017