- Location: Northern Region, Uganda
- State: UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Driving Jobs in Uganda
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
Job Summary: The driver will provide safe, transport services for MC program and support staff in the described AOR (Area of Responsibility). The driver will adhere to all traffic and MC safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the MC transport department
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate MC vehicles as assigned by supervisor;
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations;
- Check the vehicle conditions before and after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to the transport management;
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor;
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.;
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times;
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office and guesthouses daily workloads;
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business;
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to transport management on a regular basis;
- Do the regular service and maintenance of vehicles and motorbikes.
- Undertake field assignments as assigned;
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Driver job opportunity should hold a Uganda Advanced Level Certificate of Education qualification.
- Valid drivers’ license with class DL,
- At least four years’ experience driving 4WD vehicles.
- Certificate in defensive driving is essential
- Knowledge of driving in less secure and harsh environment
- Must be a mechanic/Driver able to repair both vehicles and motorbikes
- Must know and obey to all safety and traffic rules of the Uganda.
- Good understanding of English and fluency Nga’Karamajong.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
- Must know Mercy Corps vehicle policies and regulations.
- Must know what preventative maintenance is required for their vehicle.
- Understanding and following safety procedures;
- Must know the actions to be taken in the event of an accident.
- Must be able to change a wheel and do minor repairs and vehicle servicing.
- Must know how to use all accessories such as HF / VHF radios, winches etc
How to Apply
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their E-mail applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 27th August 2018