The Biosciences eastern and central Africa – International Livestock Research Institute (BecA-ILRI) Hub, located in Nairobi, Kenya, is a shared agricultural research and biosciences platform that exists to increase access for African researchers to affordable, world-class research facilities.
In addition, the BecA-ILRI Hub provides research-related services and capacity building opportunities to eastern and central Africa and beyond.
The Africa Biosciences Challenge Fund (ABCF), managed by the BecA-ILRI Hub, provides fellowships to scientists and graduate students from African national agricultural research organisations and universities to undertake biosciences research-for-development projects at the BecA-ILRI Hub.
- National (passport holder) of a BecA-ILRI Hub target country: Burundi, Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, Congo Brazzaville, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda. In exceptional cases we may consider applicants from other African countries.
- A researcher at a national agricultural research organization or university in a BecA-ILRI Hub target country
- Currently engaged in research in food and nutritional security or food safety in Africa, or in a research area with relevance to agriculture in Africa
- MSc or PhD in biosciences, agriculture or related subject. In exceptional cases we may consider applicants with a bachelor’s degree.
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English
- Completed online application form
- A signed letter of approval for your application from the head of your institute.
- We particularly welcome applications from women candidates.
Costs covered by the fellowship
- Research at the BecA-ILRI Hub
- Medical insurance
- Living allowance
Please note that fellowships do not cover the cost of fieldwork or research at the applicant’s home institute.
Closing date for applications: February 28th 2014.
For full scholarship description, scholarship application contacts and other requirements – Africa Biosciences Fellowships