The George Frank Student Travel Grant, established in 2009, is sponsored by Dr. Christopher Frank, President of the Canadian Geriatrics Society in memory of his father, Dr. George frank, who taught at the University of Nairobi medical school in the 1960s.
The grant, valued at CAD 2,000 (two thousand Canadian Dollars) provides funding to support one student to present their research in the area of ageing and health at the 20th World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics, to be held in 2013 in Seoul, South Korea.
Student Travel Grant Eligibility
The applicant must:
- Be based at an institution in Africa and enrolled in a Masters, Doctoral or post-doctoral programme in the field of ageing at the time of application
- Have submitted an abstract to the 20th World Congress of gerontology and geriatrics as the first or senior author on the paper. Before taking up the award, the applicant must provide confirmation from the that the abstract has been accepted for presentation by the Congress organizers.
- Be able to demonstrate his/her academic excellence in terms of academic background, publications, presentations and awards
There are no restrictions on departments or disciplines of study. However the student must demonstrate that his field of study is focused on the area of ageing and health
Fully Sponsored Student Travel Grant to Korea: Grant Application Procedure
To apply the student must submit the following:
1. A completed application form (link to form)
2. A duly signed letter of recommendation from the chair or department head of his/her graduate programme. The letter should include:
- The name of the student.
- How well the student is doing in her/his program
- How the student ranks compared to others at the same program stage.
- The importance of the thesis/dissertation topic
- The potential of the student to contribute to scholarly research in her/his home country.
The letter should be sent separately by the author of the letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. A copy of the abstract submitted to the 20th World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics
4. A copy of the notification that the abstract (or at least one of the abstracts, if more than one were submitted) has been accepted by the Congress. (This can be sent at a later date if it is not available at the time of this application)
Acceptance of the award implies in an agreement to write, within one month from the end of the Congress, a report about the student’s experience at the Congress, its highlights and how attendance has benefited him/her on academic/professional levels. Reports may be posted on the IAGG website.
For more information and application, visit: Fully Sponsored Student Travel Grant to Korea