ICRAF is pleased to announce the availability of thesis research fellowships for postgraduate students wishing to conduct their thesis research in collaboration with ICRAF Scientists.
The fellowships are tenable at any university in countries where ICRAF has effective scientific contacts.
The grant will be used to cover expenses arising from field research (including travel), laboratory analyses and thesis production; the thesis research will be jointly supervised by the University where the candidate is registered and ICRAF.
Each institution will appoint a suitable senior scientist as supervisor; supervisors will receive a travel grant (where justified) to meet once.
The travel grant shall not exceed US $ 1,500. This shall be additional to the US $ 5,000 given to the student.
Qualifications of applicants:
To qualify for a fellowship, the candidate must:
- Be a national of a developing country involved in Agroforestry research, education or development, and not older than 35 years of age.
- be registered for a postgraduate degree at a recognized university (evidence required).
- show evidence of interest in Agroforestry research by producing an Agroforestry research concept note (max 3 pages, covering Title, Objectives, Hypotheses, Methods and tools, Location, Duration and Budget).
- be an employee of a university, or a national research institute or at least secure the support of such an institution in the relevant developing country (where the research will be conducted).
- have completed or be close to completing coursework for the graduate degree for which s/he is registered
NB: special circumstances the minimum age may be waived.
Contact: The Training Officer, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), United Nations Avenue, Gigiri, P.O. Box 30677-00100, Nairobi, Kenya. Email: h.ochieng[at]cgiar.org