Students of all nationalities are invited to apply for the Heinrich Böll Foundation undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral scholarships.
Scholarships are for students of all subjects and nationalities pursuing their degree at universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’) in Germany.
About 1,000 scholarships are offered per year.
Scholarship recipients are expected to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
Eligibility for Undergraduate Scholarship
Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
Eligibility for a doctoral scholarship (PhD)
- Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as a doctoral student by a German institution of higher education.
- Preference will be given to dissertation projects related to the working areas of the Heinrich Böll Foundation.
- Good or very good knowledge of German is a requirement. The selection workshops are generally held in German (if a scholarship is granted, additional German language courses can be financed).
How to Apply
- Only applications submitted online are considered.
- Provide the requested information in the online application portal.
- After uploading all documents, applications should be submitted.
- Application deadline for short applications: 1st March / 1st September.
- Application deadline for an extensive application: 1st May / 1st November.
- Notification of granted scholarships: July / January or February.
- Sponsorship expected to begin: 1st October / 1st April.
For more information and application, visit: Heinrich Boll Foundation Sponsorships