Medical officials in Uganda have confirmed the outbreak of a measles epidemic in the Republic of Uganda. The measles epidemic has claimed over 150 people in the last three months including children and adults. But the government has been silent for fear of scaring away tourists.
The health officials in Uganda, especially in Hoima, Western Uganda have registered several cases of measles and many more people in Uganda, especially children are at risk of contracting the disease.
“Measles has claimed the lives of some Ugandans but we are making interventions to control further infections,” Fredrick Byenume, one of the health officials in Uganda says.
Medical officials told the press that most of the deceased had never been immunised against measles amongest other killer diseases. The measles epidemics has killed people mostly in Kamwokya, Bukinda, Kasonga, Rwensambya and Wairaga villages in Kyangwali Sub-county and in Mparo Division in Hoima.
Health officials said the first suspected measles case was registered on January 15. “Most patients are children below the age of five. However, incidentally, the government has also registered cases of people who have ever been immunised also contracting the disease.
Byenume revealed that patients who have ever been immunised against measles got mild infections and recovered quickly. Dozens of people had been killed by measles and people complained of a mysterious disease killing them. Byenume says the government is planning to restock measles vaccines as the country prepares for mass immunisation campaign.