Scholars in Residence is a residency program for young academic researchers that promotes the exchange of scholarly research and provides guest residencies for researchers in the humanities, cultural studies and social sciences to visit their colleagues in Germany and abroad.
Young scholars are given the opportunity to forge intensive relationships with other researchers, to pursue joint projects and to develop long-term bilateral collaborations within an international context.
The program partners a foreign scholar and German scholar who focus on projects that bear upon the program’s annual research themes.
Within the focal subject matter, one academic from abroad and one German academic will form a duo team.
Residency in the host country lasts between six and eight weeks.
The scholar from abroad will travel to Germany and the German scholar will travel to his/her partner’s country.
The call for applications addresses young academics from the humanities, the cultural, and the social sciences. You can apply individually or already submit a partner application (German applicant and overseas applicant).
- PhD students and Postdocs
- Fluency in English (German is not required for participation)
Required documents in English or German:
- Curriculum Vitae and list of publications (doc, docx or pdf file)
- Passport photograph (jpg or gif file)
- Three-page abstract of (doc, docx or pdf file)
1. your research project related to one of the program’s research themes
2. the relevance of your research project to the public
3. your openness to intercultural dialogue, international research exchange and interest in interdisciplinary issues
- Brief letter explaining your motivation for a guest residency and your interest in the academic sphere in the host country as well as potential requests for contacts with young academics in the host country (doc, docx or pdf file)
Fellowship Program Benefits
- Travel expenses: All participants will be reimbursed for round-trip tickets to the host country
- Accomodation in the host country
- Daily allowance of € 350.00 per week
Living expenses, public transport and health insurance are paid for by the participants.
Should you require assistance in filing for health insurance, the Goethe-Institut will be happy to assist you.
For more information and scholarship application, visit: Scholars in Residence Fellowships