The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, and TWAS have instituted a fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in Biotechnology.
Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year.
With the exception of the fellowships “for research collaboration”, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and TWOWS that are mutually exclusive.
- TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years.
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India.
- DBT will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance.
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
- The language of instruction is English
Fellowship Application Eligibility:
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 30 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country.
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- Be regularly employed in a developing country and hold a research assignment there.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form).
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form).
Deadline: 31st August each year.
For more information and application, visit: TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme Website