The West African Research Center (WARC) in Dakar offers travel costs up to $1500 and a stipend of $1500 to West African scholars and graduate students.
This competition is open only to West African nationals affiliated with institutions of higher education.
Travel grant funds may be used to;
- Attend and present papers at academic conferences relevant to the applicant’s field of research
- Visit libraries or archives that contain resources necessary to the applicant’s current academic work
- Engage in collaborative work with colleagues at another institution
- Travel to a research site.
A complete application must include the following (one original and two copies of all materials—3 sets total):
- A WARA grant application cover sheet
- A brief (50-80 word) abstract of the activity to be funded, beginning with a clear statement of purpose
- A description (6 double-spaced pages maximum) of the applicant’s research and how the proposed travel is relevant to this work. This should be presented in a language understandable to non-specialist readers
- A curriculum vitae with research and teaching record when relevant
- If attending a conference, an abstract of the paper to be read and a letter of acceptance to the conference
- If visiting another institution, an invitation from host institution
- If travel is to consult archives or other materials, a description of the collections to be consulted and their significance to the applicant’s research
- For graduate students, a letter of recommendation by the professor overseeing their research
- Proof of citizenship in the form of a photocopy of the applicant’s passport.
Travel Grants Application Deadlines:
September 15 for travel to take place between Jan. 1 and June 30.
March 15 for travel to take place between July 1 and Dec. 31.
All materials should be submitted, by mail, to:
West African Research Center
Centre de Recherche Ouest Africaine
B.P. 5456 (Fann Residence)
Rue E x Léon G. Damas Dakar, Senegal