Organization: Water For People
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems in the developing countries. Water for People seeks to see communities break free from the cycle of poverty and spend time growing, learning, and thriving, instead of walking for water and fighting off illness.
Job Summary: The Finance Manager will oversee the finances of the Uganda Country Programme. S/he will demonstrate understanding of organizational mission, vision, values, policies, procedures, and strategic goals as well as trust and teamwork in all aspects of Water For People business.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the accounting system of Water for People Uganda consistent with financial regulations, rules, policies and procedures
- Maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for users such as Headquarters, funding partners, and the Regional office in accordance with accounting principles and in the case of funding partners in accordance with contract agreements with funders
- Facilitate efficient communication and process navigation between the Uganda CP, Regional office and Headquarters
- Prepare and submit as per policy monthly financial results and manage the cash flow including preparation of cash flow forecasts and wire transfer requests in accordance with policy
- Implement the financial procedures manual and ensure compliance to accounting policies and procedures by all staff
- Prepare monthly payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including filing of annual returns, submission of PAYE, NSSF and benefits remittances and other relevant taxes on time
- Prepare all supporting information for the annual external audit, internal audits and donor specific audits and liaise with the Regional finance Manager, Headquarters and the external auditors as necessary
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate Negotiate and manage the employee insurance and benefits plans
- Prepare the annual budget in consultation with the Country Director, Program Manager and Regional Finance Manager
- Support the Country Director and Programme Manager with the preparation of budgets for funding applications
- Update and maintain financial records for each project including in-country funded projects in a manner that facilitates monthly management reports
- Regularly monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized
- Effectively handle banking relationships, including negotiation of exchange rates
- Maintain and oversee financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, journal entries and petty cash
- Manage the documentation and maintenance of complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Oversee the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Assist the partners of Water for people -Uganda as needed
- Mentor and supervise Accounts assistant and ensure she effectively carries out her duties
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Finance/Accounting
- Be a fully Certified/Chartered Accountant with ACCA /CPA
- At least three to five years’ experience in a Managerial role in Accounting or Finance departments.
- At least three years of non-profit accounting/finance experience.
- Working knowledge of accounting software, preferably NetSuite
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the principles and practices of accounting, auditing, and financial reporting.
- Previous experience in complex multi-currency transactions a plus.
- Able to meet tight deadlines; must be able to work overtime periodically
- excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated team leadership skills
- High level of attention to detail, self-motivated
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards
- Knowledge of companies Act, Income tax act and labor laws of Uganda
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs for Accounting and Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Transparency: ensure honesty in own behavior and the behavior of others that is consistent with the values of the organization.
- Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Trust: Build trust in the teams you work with, trust coworkers to be authentic in their work and dealings
- Problem solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools-and techniques.
- Collaboration: Be consistently accountable to co-workers .
- Learning and teaching: Seek to continually learn from others, and pass on the baton by teaching others to enhance their effectiveness
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to send their detailed CVs and certified academic certificates plus three (3) referees and their contacts. Applications must be addressed to:
The Country Director,
Water for People Uganda
P.O. Box 1420, Kampala Uganda
E-mail to: Esther Carolyn Nassuuna, email@example.com
Deadline: 22nd February 2017 by 5:00PM