A repeat of the 2012 disaster that led to death of hundreds of Ugandans in Bududa resurrected on Thursday evening when heavy mudslides hit the area again leading to death of twenty people with more yet to be confirmed.
Among the dead include primary school pupils and over 500 people were left with no homes.The deaths came after more than five hours of heavy raining in Bukalasi Sub-county, Bududa district.
Homes and schools with Suume Junior Academy pupils in particular and residents were dumped into River Suume that feeds River Manafwa.
Most of the bodies were found floating in River Suume by residents who were later joined by
Police later joined to retrieve residents in the river and those whose homes were still covered by the rains.
“When the rains subsided, we found out the many houses along the river had been washed away and many people missing. The river got flooded and it came rolling with trees, heavy stones, washing away houses and people,” Mr John Namutambo a resident narrated.
However, the Elgon region police spokesperson Manshur Sowedi said the number of those dead could still go above twenty as the search continues.
“The number of dead people is believed to be more than 50 but we are trying to recover more,” Mr Manshur said in a telephone interview.
Bukalasi Sub-County chairperson Mr Peter Kisolo said that many of the people were left homeless by the heavy rains that struck the area.
“Hundreds have been left homeless and they have been told to shelter from relatives and friends in the neighbouring sub-counties,” he said.
Some of those who survived were rushed to Bukalasi health centre III after sustaining broken limbs.
Red Cross officials have also joined the search for those missing and are providing relief items for the displaced.
Several disasters have been happening for example in 2011, a mudslide in Bulambuli killed about 28 people, six people in Sironko District in march 2012 and in June 2012, buried 18 people in Bududa District and the recent one being 10 people buried in Sironko district.