Job Title: Deputy IT Technical Coordinator
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: I.T Technical Coordinator
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise based in Uganda. Our mission is providing finance and support to help the self-employed own income generating assets. Our core product is a lease to own model for motorcycle taxi drivers (boda bodas) who own their own motorcycles in 19 months or less with weekly payments similar to what they otherwise pay to rent indefinitely from informal landlords. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety. Tugende currently serves over 6,000 active customers in Uganda through 150+ employees across 7 branches, and 4,500 additional leases have already been fully repaid. With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of earners in the informal sector, which will easily enable us to expand into other asset finance and value added services offerings in the near future.
Job Summary: The principal function of the Deputy I.T Technical Coordinator is to provide additional technical capabilities to our existing IT Team through direct work and will also be a key link between the Coordinator and the system developers working on our existing and future systems. Other key main duties will include;
- Management of both existing systems development and project upgrade through all the phases of the Software Development Lifecycle. This will involve but not limited to Requirements collection and elicitation, resource allocations, quality assurance, roll out strategies, and documentation.
- General administration of existing technology infrastructure and supervision of direct reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Tugende Assistant Technical Coordinator will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Identify and highlight potential areas of improvement through technology in the company
- Guide brainstorming sessions with other stakeholders/departments to identify ways Technology can improve business at Tugende.
- Document outstanding concepts and advise management on implementation and business impact
- Conduct periodic technology reviews of systems used at Tugende and benchmark on current trends.
- Actively participation in strategic planning for technology roadmaps.
Manage Escalations of Help Desk Tickets
- Manage escalations made by direct reports forwarding help desk tickets for attention.
- Coordinate with all stakeholders involved in a specific issue to ensure they are aligned until the issue is concluded
- Maintain an up to date inventory of all computer hardware in Tugende including but not limited to Printers, Laptops, Routers, Projectors etc.
- Supervise the third party hardware maintenance providers (if any).
- Oversight of systems administration in the company. This may include assigning of permissions to specific users/groups, prevention of malicious actions, detection when they occur, recovery after they have occurred etc.
- Advise management on ways of improving systems administration in the company
Software Development Life Cycle
- Project manage assigned in-house projects using Industry Project management principles.
- Ensure that each project executed meets the requirements set forth and is delivered in time using the right resources like the budget, human resource etc.
- Evaluate risks in all assigned projects at all stages and timely escalate when need arises.
- Assist and support the programming skills to help the team in cases when need arises e.g. debugging, designing algorithms, writing pseudo code and building components in projects
- Manage relationship between Tugende and External consultants
- Ability to take on different roles on different projects i.e. an example of this is doing quality assurance on one project and designing requirements on another
- Ensure high standard of system documentation and implementing bug fixing procedures with reference to best practices
Supervision of direct reports
Task allocation and scheduling
- Break down projects into clear tasks given to the direct reports
- Quality assurance of the deliverables from Direct reports
- Share Constructive Feedback with direct reports to ensure growth
- Coordinate with the I.T Technical Coordinator on status of the tasks pipeline and seek help for issues identified in the process
Health and Safety
Compliance to HSSE policy
- Ensures all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to including but not limited to; office safety (proper office arrangement of files and equipment) among others.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Tugende Deputy IT Technical Coordinator job placement should preferably hold a University Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or related discipline, obtained from a recognized university. We are willing to consider top performers without a university degree if they can show exceptional professional experience.
- Five years of work experience, including 2 years leading teams on projects, with good track record in delivering IT solutions from a reputable organisation.
- Knowledge of Salesforce is an added advantage
- In-depth knowledge of development frameworks in python (e.g. Django, Flask, Pandas, Twisted, Numpy/Pandas, iPython, Matplotlib).
- Familiarity with web stack and underlying protocols and languages (TCP, UDP, HTTP, XML, JSON )
- Database Management skills (Postgres, MqSQL etc)
- Understanding of general coding concepts e.g. object oriented development, model view controller, rest API, Object Relational Mappers.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning and deployment tools (such as Git, Bit bucket, Mercurial SVN or Ansible)
- Basic understanding of project management and project management tools.
- Knowledge of project management techniques
- Knowledge of the Agile Approach to Solutions development
- Knowledge of Human Centered Design.
- Knowledge of development frameworks and their purpose
- Should not be afraid of leading from the front or getting their “hands dirty”. This specifically refers to help out when direct reports are stuck or overwhelmed. In general, a broader skill set within the required range is preferable to a deep specialisation.
- Ability to research and continuously discover, evaluate and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency.
- Mentoring and training direct reports to help with ICT support across offices
- Manage the development of new features and make modifications to existing software using Apex, the AJAX Toolkit and Visualforce.
- Ability to learn new business concepts and new technologies in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrate high standard of people management skills and interpersonal skills to work in teams.
- Soft skills that align with Tugende core values
The preferred candidate must be willing and ready to embrace our shared values at Tugende as a whole:
- We operate with empathy and understanding for everyone (Including; Coach and cheerleader, Dignity, Highly approachable, and Exceptional customer experience; prioritize the customer’s experience)
- We are solutions-oriented (Including; Courage, Being proactive, Operational excellence, and Follow-through and ownership)
- We are always growing (Including; Learning, Innovating and striving to improve, Meritocracy; provides opportunity based on merit)
- We have integrity in all decisions (Including; Fair / honest, Good judgment, Critical thinking)
- We work as a team (Including; being Humble, Dependable and Supportive)
- Professionalism: Maintains professionalism when corresponding and negotiating with partners/suppliers. In addition being Empathetic and personable when dealing with applicants and borrowers.
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as opportunity to grow.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 11th November 2018